Metallica: The $5.98 E.P. Garage Days Re-Revisited (1987 Cassette Tape)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikehbkwm, Apr 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Enjoy the scans.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Metallica / The $5.98 E.P. Garage Days Re-Revisited (1987 Cassette Tape) DSD 2.8MHz-64fs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -6.93 dB -21.08 dB 6:40 01-Helpless
    DR13 -6.75 dB -21.35 dB 6:42 02-The Small Hours
    DR12 -6.96 dB -20.16 dB 4:55 03-The Wait
    DR12 -6.07 dB -20.35 dB 3:10 04-Crash Course in Brain Surgery
    DR13 -6.63 dB -20.72 dB 3:31 05-Last Caress / Green Hell

Number of tracks: 5
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 352800 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 1
    Bitrate: 5645 kbps
    Codec: DSD64
    ================================================================================

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mikehbkwm

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I remember my friend in 8th grade telling me about this EP. I had no idea it existed and had all their albums up through Justice. He let me borrow his cassette. It was apparently out of print as I couldn't find a trace anywhere. Until one day it was listed in my Columbia House catalog on CD, so I ordered it and was kind of surprised it actually showed up.

mikehbkwm likes this.
  4. mikehbkwm

I didn't know this album existed until '91 if memory serves. My buddy had it and I was like, what Metallica album is this?? He said play it (it was on CD), mind blown! :)

jfeldt and rnranimal like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I still have all my old Metallica tapes from my teen years. That yellow spine still beckons me!

jfeldt, chilinvilin and mikehbkwm like this.
  6. mikehbkwm

7. mikehbkwm

8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

'91 for me as well. I was buying cassettes when school started that year and at some point during that school year I started buying CDs. Probably got a CD player for Christmas. Garage Days is the only Metallica release I never owned on cassette. This EP turned me onto the Misfits which became my favorite band in high school. Then I spent a year or two hunting down their "Last Caress" as it would not be released on cassette/CD until 1995. Ended up buying a bootleg CD transferred from vinyl singles/EPs in '92 or '93.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    mikehbkwm likes this.
  9. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I bought this when it came out. I'm Canadian and my cassette version just has text, no pics. I'm jealous.

mikehbkwm likes this.
  10. mikehbkwm

Love hearing these stories, very cool how it takes everyone back to a specific moment in time.

chilinvilin and rnranimal like this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I remember playing this and "Justice" on the tape deck in 8th grade art class. I don't know if the rest of the class appreciated it, but me and my friends had a great 'ol time.

12. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Still my favorite Metallica release.

mikehbkwm and Soundslave like this.
  13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I became a Metallica fan with Justice, and at that time I was aware of this EP existing from reading magazines like Metal Hammer, but I never saw it in a shop and no one in my circle of friends had it either. It wasn't the kind of release that was easy to get over here so I guess I wrote it off because I don't remember thinking much about it or ever making any actual effort to track down a copy. I had to wait until the mid 90s and a trip to south-east Asia to actually get my hands on a cassette of it at a market there. Blew me away first time I heard it, it did sound like the young and hungry Metallica, it took me back to when I was first getting into their old albums. It wasn't long afterwards that they put out the Garage Inc. CD and I could have those tracks on an official release.

Oh man, 80s Metallica is golden. They were so good it's ridiculous.

bloodlemons and mikehbkwm like this.
  14. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

Our release was the same.

Don't know if our 1987 issue of Kill 'em All is an oddity or not, Jump In The Fire listed as Jump In The Air
    [​IMG]

unclesalty, mikehbkwm and Boswell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.