Photos of the Chompipes, Costa Rican turkeys!

Costa Rica Art

Songster
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
Los Angeles Sur, Costa Rica
Here are some photos
cool.png
of the Chompipes (pronounced, chom - pee - pas
old.gif
). I asked about their origins and got a blank look, they are turkeys. . . .
hu.gif

46306_picture_z7590_188.jpg
The old tom and a younger one.
smile.png

46306_picture_z7590_189.jpg
Showing off the the lady!
cool.png

46306_picture_z7590_190.jpg
Poults going on 4 weeks.
jumpy.gif

46306_picture_z7590_184.jpg
I think the ladies like him!
love.gif

46306_picture_z7590_192.jpg
Poults being curious
wink.png

46306_picture_z7590_187.jpg
Ain't she pretty?
thumbsup.gif

OK, take a good look and toss in your comments about what you think about what kind of turkeys I have here in Costa Rica.
yippiechickie.gif
The poults will be raised with the chickens and will have the run of the fenced in backyard when they can no longer squeeze thru the chain link fence with one wing clipped.
ep.gif
We are going to have to import bugs for the turkeys as the chickens have cleaned them out.
lau.gif

Oh yeah, we were only going to raise two for the table but my bride thinks two would be raised to reproduce so two more were added along with two being held for our neighbor who needs to finish her pen to keep them in or we will have two more for the freezer.
droolin.gif

I forgot to mention that we only have the 6 poults, the others were the ladies breeding stock where I purchased the poults, their photos were just for identification purposes.

Last edited:
Very nice turkeys! They do look like the Narangansett; more so than the Merial!

Thanks for the pronunciation too, I was wondering and sounding quite silly.......
lau.gif

The toms certainly are not Eastern wild or Narragansetts. These birds are black-winged bronzed based. Notice the lack of barring in the wings. Royal palm is the only heritage strain with black wings, so these birds won't be found in the APA standard.

The toms look like penciled black-winged bronze, and they might have a red gene. The hens look more Narragansett like, but I can't see enough to tell, and the one in the second picture is too brown. If the toms have recessive palm and or narragansett genes, the offspring could be of many colors, most of which don't have standard names. With careful breeding you could tease out some of recessive genes.

I do like the fine barring on the hen in the fourth picture!

Back
Top Bottom